A bit about us
GroundTruth is a leading media platform company powered by real-world behaviors. Brands, agencies, small businesses, and non-profits trust GroundTruth to generate real business results. GroundTruth’s suite of geo-contextual display and video advertising products and services are available at scale through their self-serve omnichannel advertising platform, managed services, and industry reseller partnerships. GroundTruth’s marketing platform is powered by a unique data set called “visitation data’' accredited by the Media Rating Council (MRC).
Learn more: www.groundtruth.com
We believe that innovative technology starts with the best talent and have been ranked one of Ad Age’s Best Places to Work for three years in a row (2021, 2022 & 2023). Learn more about the perks of joining our team here.
Director of Engineering, Realtime Advertising Systems
Remote (North America) | Engineering
About the advertising systems team
The Advertising Serving systems group is responsible for developing and maintaining our real-time advertising serving systems including responding to bid-requests from SSPs and exchanges using Open RTB as well as delivering ads and processing event notifications from our inventory partners and rendered ad units. Our advertising platform currently receives ~700,000 transactions per second in bid volume on AWS infrastructure typically responding to external bid requests in under 30ms. This is a high-volume low-latency system and the team focuses on technical excellence in Java, Scala, and C++ using AWS infrastructure. We seek to continuously improve cost performance while bringing new features to market for our customers.
Responsibilities of the role
- Be technical a hands-on leader working with the teams every day
- Collaborate with product managers and stakeholders to design systems, plan projects, and ensure quality delivery within time and budget
- Control AWS costs and proactively identify and execute system improvements to reduce spend on infrastructure while increasing scale and reliability
- Grow, develop, and lead a winning team through effective performance management, hiring, and training, including regular 1:1 meetings with all of your direct and indirect reports
- Manage performance against key metrics for the engineering department such as productivity per headcount-dollar
- Education and professional experience:
- PHD or Masters degree in STEM with 10+ years experience in technology
- or 4-year degree in STEM with 12+ years experience in technology
- or 16+ years experience in technology
- The following skills/experience/certifications: advertising or marketing industry experience, AWS architecture and cost management, Java or Scala development, C++ programming, SQL proficiency, experience with distributed systems operating at internet scale
- Additional nice to have skills/certifications: Akka, Vert.x, Grizzly, Netty, NIO, Python, Apache Web Server, Nginx, Protocol Buffers, HAProxy, Aerospike, Redis, Kinesis, sed, awk, perl, real-time bidding, previous experience as a system architect or AWS certified solution architect certification
Cultural fit at GroundTruth
- A team player who is organized, flexible and willing to adapt
- Not afraid of new technologies and driven to learn
- A detail-oriented person, who catches problems early and adjusts
- A strong communicator who is able to collaborate with multiple business and engineering stakeholders and work through conflicting needs
- A problem solver who likes to dive deep into a problem, diagnose root causes and work with multiple teams to come up with a solution
- Eager to provide direction and build consistent processes in a maturing start-up culture
- A self-starter who can operate with minimal supervision
What we offer
At GroundTruth, we want our employees to be comfortable with their benefits so they can focus on doing the work they love.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- In Office Daily Catered Lunch
- Fully stocked snacks/beverages
- 401(k) employer match
- Health coverage including medical, dental, vision and option for HSA or FSA
- Generous parental leave
- Company-wide DEIB Committee
- Inclusion Academy Seminars
- Wellness/Gym Reimbursement
- Pet Expense Reimbursement
- Company-wide Volunteer Day
- Education reimbursement program
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Equity Analysis to ensure fair pay
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity, inclusion and equity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under applicable federal, state and/or local laws. If you need reasonable accommodations in the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.