Manager, Data Engineering
Germantown, Mountain View, New York, Vancouver, Remote
Established in 1993, WeatherBug is a popular weather site and mobile app providing hyperlocal, live weather data and proactive alerting to consumer users. With over 15 million unique users per month, across all platforms, WeatherBug’s vision is to provide environmental intelligence for all aspects of people’s lives. The WeatherBug app is a top-rated weather app in the app stores. In 2019, WeatherBug was named the best weather app by MediaPost’s Appy Awards. WeatherBug is owned and operated by GroundTruth, the leading global location technology platform. Learn more: www.weatherbug.com
As the Manager of Data Engineering, you will oversee the development, implementation, maintenance, and operations of WeatherBug’s data ingestion, warehouse, and analytics platform. You will collaborate with various cross functional teams across the WeatherBug organization to identify information and reporting requirements to help the business make data driven decisions. This high impact role will have an opportunity to lead a team to help design and build our data infrastructure and work with emerging technologies such as Redshift and associated AWS cloud services while driving business intelligence solutions end-to-end: business requirements, workflow instrumentation, data modeling and ETL. The role requires someone who loves data, understands enterprise information systems, has a strong business sense, and can lead a team to put these skills into action.
- Collaborate with Engineering leadership to help drive technical strategy
- Drive best engineering practices within your team(s)
- Collaborate with other internal teams and vendors to determine appropriate technical approach and implementation, timing, and resourcing
- Be an internal champion for continuously improving team working processes, code quality, and tools and technology adoption
- Identify and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team.
- Mentor, and coach team members at different levels of experience
- Manage and execute software development projects from beginning to finish
- Work with the team members across the organization to understand and incorporate business requirements into product solutions
- Be responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects.
- Lead project planning and estimating
- Collaborate with other software managers on people management practices
- Provide regular updates on projects and team performance
- Supervise team’s personnel matters: scheduling resources, time off requests, recognition on a timely and consistent basis
- Monitor team members productivity and provide constructive feedback and coaching as needed
- Evaluate employee performance, set expectations and goals for staff members.
- Encourage ownership across the organization
- Develop technical and non-technical relationships with key stakeholders and with other teams across the organization
- Cultivate a culture of engineering excellence
- Other job-related duties as assigned
- Technically astute
- Goal oriented
- Team oriented
- BS degree in Computer Science (or related field) or 13+ years of experience in software development
- 5+ Years of Data Warehouse Experience with Oracle, Redshift, PostgreSQL, etc. Demonstrated strength in SQL, data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Experience in maintaining data warehouse systems and working on large scale data transformation using EMR, Hadoop, Hive, or other Big Data technologies
- 10+ years of experience in software design & development
- Experience in mentoring and supporting peers across multiple engineering teams, fostering best engineering practices
- Ability to communicate and apply common architectural design patterns across a wide range of technical problems
- Prior experience with agile development, continuous delivery, and DevOps
- Experience performing fundamental CS tasks including algorithms, runtime analysis, OO design, code quality
- Proficiency in the Agile development life cycle like Kanban and Scrum methodologies
- Understand technical risks / issues and assists with options to resolve / mitigate
- Experience running cross functional teams (two or more of these skills on a team: iOS, Android, Web, and Java APIs)
- Experience developing long-term strategies and influencing leadership decisions
- A demonstrated, creative problem-solving approach and strong analytical skills, combined with a strong sense of ownership, and proactive can-do attitude.
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to coach, inspire and mentor a team
- Experienced at effectively leading remote teams
- Ability to clearly explain and justify ideas when faced with competing alternatives
- Experience setting goals and focusing on results
- You have experience building roadmaps, project/release plans with a deep understanding of dependency management.
- Experience defining projects, collecting requirements, and writing functional and test specifications
- Experience coordinating efforts to scope, schedule and deploy new features sets
- Experience analyzing cost/benefit of feature selection
- Ability to cultivate collaboration
- History of engineering cultural change including CI/CD, Chaos Engineering, and Microservices or API first development
- You have experience communicating multi-functionally with producers, engineers, development partners, marketing, legal, and executive teams.
- MS degree in Computer Science (or related field)
- Experience with user experience / user-centric design
- Experience with React Native
- Experience with Objective-C
- Experience with Android (Java/Kotlin)
- Experience with Apple Watch
- Experience with ReactJS
- Experience with C#, Asp.Net (Core even better!)
- Extensive working with various AWS services including Redshift, EMR, DynamoDB, Kinesis, Lambda, S3, EC2, etc.
- Extensive Experience with Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Pig, Spark, etc.)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity, inclusion and equity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under applicable federal, state and/or local laws. If you need reasonable accommodations in the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.