Title: Manager, Software Engineering
Established in 1993, WeatherBug is a popular weather site and mobile app providing hyperlocal, live weather data and proactive alerting to consumer users. With over 15 million unique users per month, across all platforms, WeatherBug’s vision is to provide environmental intelligence for all aspects of people’s lives. The WeatherBug app is a top-rated weather app in the app stores. In 2019, WeatherBug was named the best weather app by MediaPost’s Appy Awards. WeatherBug is owned and operated by GroundTruth, the leading global location technology platform. Learn more: www.weatherbug.com
- Collaborate with Engineering leadership to help drive technical strategy
- Drive best engineering practices within your team(s)
- Collaborate with other internal teams and vendors to determine appropriate technical approach and implementation, timing, and resourcing
- Be an internal champion for continuously improving team working processes, code quality, and tools and technology adoption
- Identify and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team.
- Mentor, and coach team members at different levels of experience
- Manage and execute software development projects from beginning to finish
- Work with the team members across the organization to understand and incorporate business requirements into product solutions
- Be responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects.
- Lead project planning and estimating
- Collaborate with other software managers on people management practices
- Provide regular updates on projects and team performance
- Deliver performance reviews for your team members and set up performance goals
- Supervise team’s personnel matters: scheduling resources, time off requests, recognition on a timely and consistent basis
- Monitor team members productivity and provide constructive feedback and coaching as needed
- Evaluate employee performance, set expectations and goals for staff members.
- Encourage strong ownership across the organization
- Develop technical and non-technical relationships with key stakeholders and with other teams across the organization
- Cultivate a culture of engineering excellence
- Other job-related duties as assigned
- BTech/ B.E degree in Computer Science (or related field) or 13+ years of experience in software development
- 10+ years of experience in software design & development
- Experience in mentoring and supporting peers across multiple engineering teams, fostering best engineering practices
- Ability to communicate and apply common architectural design patterns across a wide range of technical problems
- Prior experience with agile development, continuous delivery, and DevOps
- Experience performing fundamental CS tasks including algorithms, runtime analysis, OO design, code quality
- Proficiency in the Agile development life cycle like Kanban and Scrum methodologies
- Understand technical risks / issues and assists with options to resolve / mitigate
- Experience running cross functional teams (two or more of these skills on a team: iOS, Android, Web, and Java APIs)
- Experience developing long-term strategies and influences leadership decisions
- Demonstrate creative problem-solving approach and strong analytical skills, combined with a strong sense of ownership, and proactive can-do attitude.
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to coach, inspire and mentor a team
- Ability to clearly explain and justify ideas when faced with competing alternatives
- Experience setting goals and focusing on results
- Experienced at effectively leading remote teams
- You have experience building roadmaps, project/release plans with a deep understanding of dependency management.
- Experience defining projects, collecting requirements, and writing functional and test specifications
- Experience coordinating efforts to scope, schedule and deploy new features sets
- Experience analyzing cost/benefit of feature selection
- Ability to cultivate collaboration
- History of engineering cultural change including CI/CD, Chaos Engineering, and Microservices or API first development
- You have experience communicating multi-functionally with producers, engineers, development partners, marketing, legal, and executive teams.
Would be great if you have:
- Btech or Mtech degree in Computer Science (or related field)
- Experience with user experience / user-centric design
- Experience with React Native
- Experience with Objective-C
- Experience with Android (Java/Kotlin)
- Experience with Apple Watch
- Experience with ReactJS
- Experience with C#, Asp.Net (Core even better!)
- Amazon Web Services
We operate in a fast paced, dynamic environment where everyone on the team is committed to the success and growth of WeatherBug. Our culture is highly entrepreneurial, and our success comes from our employees who voice their opinions and ideas to facilitate growth to our bottom line. We reward hard work, support career development, offer comprehensive benefits, and foster a fun and friendly work environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.