VP – Engineering & Data Science
Mountain View, CA
GroundTruth is a global location technology company that drives results with real data. We believe in the power of place. Build your brand, increase sales and more by building off what real people are doing in the real world, mapped using our proprietary Blueprints technology. GroundTruth delivers superior consumer insights by seeing more people and places than anyone else, with an unrivaled first-party database of 850 million active monthly users and 150 million active daily users, across 100 million places and points of interest. GroundTruth currently serves 21 countries globally. Learn more: www.GroundTruth.com
Reporting to the SVP of Engineering, the VP of Engineering will be responsible for overall management and development of an established team of 40+ talented and passionate engineers across the backend engineering and data science teams. The VP will lead the ad serving, location exchange, analytics, inventory prediction, solutions engineering, audience development and management, KPI modeling, and visit modeling teams and responsible for the day-to-day operational aspects. He/She will be a highly visible internal leader who will inspire his/her teams with clear and pragmatic direction, which aligns with the vision of the company.
This “technology operator” must be committed to performance, results, and operational excellence. More tactically, he/she will have a disciplined metric oriented approach to measuring process output and “keeping the trains running on time”. The right leader will be an actualizer of the vision and be able to implement process into logical units of work across the team. The VP will be responsible for bringing energy, passion, commitment, and high quality of management to this faced paced operation. Ultimately, he will streamline communication, prioritization, and process within the backend and data science teams as well as between the greater tech organization and other Company units, promoting efficiency and delivery of needed products to support the company’s success.
- Consistently contribute as an active and visible part of the leadership team.
- Responsible for the overall technology, data science plan and backend architecture for GroundTruth.
- Partner closely with Product and other internal groups, designing and maintaining a roadmap of projects to meet demanding business objectives. Lead software development efforts, including all required monitoring and reporting progress against critical product roadmap timelines and milestones.
- Manage multiple parallel development work streams from concept to design and implementation and ongoing refinement.
- Manage recruitment, development, and retention of a world-class team of 40+ engineers across backend engineering and data science divisions, keeping staff focused and motivated, while connecting business goals to their work.
- Ensure quality, scalability, and security of core platforms; ensure uptime and service level agreements with internal and external customers.
- Inculcate data driven decision making and culture across the organization by building flexible experimentation platform and tooling.
- Provide guidance and leadership in model building best practices, incorporating state of the art machine learning techniques.
- Entrepreneurial attitude, and someone who will lead by getting involved. Must be willing to “roll up his/her/ sleeves” to evaluate competing technologies, diagnose/troubleshoot production problems, make critical decisions on the future strategy and day-to-day performance of the organization.
- Be an effective spokesperson and champion for the engineering teams.
- Proven track record of 12+ years of progressive engineering and data science experience, with 5+ years in a significant leadership position managing large tech teams that designed, developed, and launched complex software solutions.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience driving multiple development teams in an aggressive, Agile environment.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully hiring, motivating, and retaining talented engineers.
- Deep knowledge of machine learning, information retrieval, data mining, statistics, deep learning techniques.
- Experience in development of multi-threaded event driven serving systems in C++/Java/Scala/Python.
- Experience in building big data applications utilizing Hadoop and related NoSQL technologies.
- Experience in modeling schemas in relational databases – MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Experience across a broad spectrum of technologies – Kafka, Storm, Spark, Apache, Hadoop, Python, Redis, Cassandra, ScyllaDB, Linux, Hive, Pig, etc.
- Appreciation towards Mechanical Sympathy – understanding CPU cache hierarchy, memory layout, etc.
- Competent in fundamental data structures, and algorithms
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Advertising technology experience is ideal
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.